Inspired by a good friend who wants to feel like she matters. You do, girl. You do.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sunday Night Book Excerpt: Sebastian Barry

From: A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry


And those boys of Europe, born in those times, and thereabouts those times, Russian, French, Belgian, Serbian, Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, Italian, Prussian, German, Austrian, Turkish-and Canadian, Australian, American, Zulu, Gurkha, Cossack, and all the rest--their fate was written in a ferocious chapter of the book of life, certainly. Those millions of mothers and their million gallons of mothers' milk, millions of instances of small-talk and baby talk, beatings and kisses, ganseys and shoes, piled up in history in great ruined heaps, with a loud and broken music, human stories told for nothing, for ashes, for death's amusement, flung on the might scrapheap of souls, all those million boys in all their humours to be milled by the mill-stones of a coming war.

Ah, I have just started what will no doubt be a deeply wonderful and painful book. It's fiction, but drawn from the history of the Irish soldiers fighting under the British crown during WWI. The text above just tore through me as a mother, but also as a military wife, and as a human being. Barry clearly has a poetic gift. Although it is a very dark book, he handles the subject matter with such poetic fluidity that it's the prose equivalent of melted butter. (I hope you were able to read the excerpt to the end without the distractions of the links; I just thought that including some links would be great for "further study.")

I met Barry at a book reading held at the Embassy. He read from this novel and several other works. (I love that I can hear his voice now when I read A Long, Long Way.) Part of my work leading up to the reading was to research his writing and prepare notes for an introductory speech by the Political Counsellor (the host of the event.) I will try to scare up part of the speech that I composed, at least the first paragraph because I am really proud of it. But, for now, I've included an excerpt of a interview that I came across during my research that spoke to me.

Excerpt from an interview with Sebastian Barry


Interviewer: Since this novel asks such important questions about how people learn and what they believe, could you speak about the violence occurring in the world today? Do you see any way we might begin to get beyond war?

SB: I am sure, like many people, I did naïvely hope that this century would be that long-prepared-for century without war. In matters of violence I am a Tutu-ist, as in Bishop Tutu of South Africa, whose thesis seems to be that there is no terrible action that a person can commit that he the good bishop in other circumstances might not also have committed. It is an astonishingly generous, almost bewilderingly wise stance, but it prevents a person from putting himself in superior judgment over another. A man who cannot be offended and cannot think himself superior cannot start a war. If, as George Bernard Shaw said, "Youth is wasted on the young," age is wasted on the aged if the only answer to the long question of human belligerence is belligerence. So I am hoping like many another mortal, like many another father, that a new answer is imminent. I am more than willing to hope naïvely.

I think this is why at some point in my life I want to dedicate my time to working with old people. I want to interview them and hear their stories. Maybe we can use that cumulative wisdom to help ourselves from repeating our mistakes? Although there are fifty eleven million biographies and history books out there, I don't think we can ever have enough human stories.

5 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

I read that Tutu believes the treatment of Palestinians by the Jewish state of Israel is a form of apartheid. I need to read more about that line of thinking...I would appreciate any insight you might have on that theory.

9:04 PM

 
Blogger KJ said...

What? Tutu supports Holocaust revisionism? WHHHHAAAAAATTTT?

10:25 PM

 
Blogger KJ said...

"When you know that there are things like poverty, disease and inequalities in the world today, I am not surprised that terrorism has emerged but why it has taken so long. There comes a time when even a humble and most peace-loving person says I have had enough. My view is that we won't win the war against terror as long as there are conditions that make feelings desperate."

Tutu on Terrorism.

From this it sounds like he sanctions the terrorist acts in that region against Jews. He sees Jews as the oppressor of the Palestinians therefore the Palestinians have no alternative but to act out on their "desperate feelings" with terrorist acts.
Wow. I know I'm talking to myself...but this just got a whole lot more interesting...be back after I read some more about this tangled web of ideas that uncovers the thought train of the the Nobel Peace Prize winning individual. He sees terrorism as an inevitability when we do not address the issues of poverty, disease, and inequalities. I thought the answer to belligerence was not more belligerence?

10:42 PM

 
Blogger KJ said...

Interview with TUTU: cut and paste:

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/coverstory_desmondtutu.html

Summary:
More info about desperation.
Money on war was a miss allocation of resources...money should have been spent on clearing up the situations that lead to the desperate acts in the first place? I see his point but it misses the mark with SH himself. He didn't brutalize his people because he wasn't getting enough to eat or drink.
Still searching...

10:54 PM

 
Blogger KJ said...

I always come back to the double edged sword of damned if you do damned if you don't. The argument that we shouldn't be in Iraq because well, what about all the other brutal dictators out there, what is the US doing about N. Korea (nuclear threat), Dafar(genocide), Tibet (free Tibet!)...but now we are finally DOING something and it's still not good enough to overthrow a beast. Was it the right beast? Did you do it the right way? That wasn't your REAL reason for going in..that wasn't the reason you GAVE (WMD). I'll agree the thing was botched, I'll agree that it's a mess, but I just can't get behind the idea that it was immoral. I need to dig up that second part of the UN sanction that gave any member nation the authority to go to war given that SH ignored resolution after resolution after resolution...

11:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home